Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Forget dinner mom, I'm commin home with Crabs..

Another beautiful day Kayaking on the Saugatuck with my favorite girl, Jaedyn. We headed down stream and out to mouth of the river to cockenoe island. We paddled into the small bay on the island and took a little swim, took some pictures and stumbled on to a baby seagulls nest that their mother didn't want us near. After leaving the island we paddled over to what Jaedyn and I have rightly dubbed "crab island."
After flipping over some rocks to find sand crabs scurrying all over the place, I started to search the shallow waters of the sound to see if we could find some more. She thought it would be better for me to collect them. She wasn't into going any where near the crabs especially once we started finding bigger ones. Jaedyn really wanted to go swimming but after realizing how many crabs were in the water, she changed her mind about swimming. We found a lot of small sand crabs, one spider crab and a large horse shoe crab. None of which, Jaedyn would touch, but I did get her to step on the horse shoe crab, for all of one second.
With as much paddling as I'd done and exploring that Jaedyn did, we were getting pretty hungry, so we headed back home. What better way to celebrate a good trip on the water better than to go home and cook up some tasty crab cakes.

View Larger Map



No comments: