Sunday, October 7, 2007

Weekend in VT


After a couple of days alone with Autumn in New Paltz, NY I spent the weekend with Jaedyn in Vermont. We didn't get up to the cabin until 6 or 7 in the evening Friday so other than the normal ritual of dinner and reading a story before bed, we didn't do anything the first day. Saturday started off with the Chili cook off in Ludlow. There were seventeen different chilies to sample. My favorites had to be the ones with whole chunks of meat as opposed to ground meat, but in the end I voted for Chili Con Carlos. Of course, like any contest there are always a couple entries that push the envelope. For example one had spaghetti and another had mole'. But hey, to each their own. Lenny, Linda, Mary and the baby Erol were up the for the weekend as well. I'm really bad with keeping track of time and how much has past but I do know that's in been a while since I've seen them. After burning all remaining taste buds that I had we headed up to Belmont to watch the cider being pressed. Jaedyn got kind of a kick out of watching the guys putting all the apples in the machine to be chopped then wrapped on the pallets then pressed to become cider right before her eyes. She could have stayed there all day, but if she did that she would have missed the first annual Parrot Festival at Jackson Gore. They had an outdoor grill and bar. They had live music playing old Jimmy Buffet, Dick Dale, and Beach Boys songs. They also had contests for t-shirts and Okemo lift tickets. Although I won the limbo contest and a t-shirt I was really hoping for the lift tickets. To win the tickets, we had to unfold a frozen t-shirt. Easier said than done, that thing was frozen like a brick. Well if there was any question that Jaedyn had a good time all one had to do was look at her pants. She spent most of the time sliding down the hill with the rest of the kids. I was able to pull her away for a short period of time for the limbo contest. Well, maybe it wasn't meant to be, because after the first band had played the rain started to roll in and we headed back to the cabin. After pizza and a friendly game of sevens we called it a night. Sunday started off a little lighter with me and mom hitting up some of the sales at the ski shops downtown. Later in the day we met up with the gang to go apple picking, and who doesn't like apple picking, or should I say eating. Hopefully I'll have time to get some pies made up before I go back to work on Thursday. I'm always so gun hoe about doing these things when we're picking apples but as soon as I get them all home I have a hard time making time to do them. Well, I went up hoping to see some good color in the leaves but I guess due to the dry summer we had and the nights not being cool enough peak has come and gone.

No comments: