Saturday, September 6, 2008

He's done it now...



High Exposure that is. I finale led High E with minimal beta on a beautiful September day. Meghan and I warmed-up on Horseman and broke it into two pitches to give her some practice at breaking down the anchor and giving me a little bit less rope drag after the traverse. Then we made the long walk down the carriage trail to a place I've never been, the base of High Exposure. It's only rated a 5.6+ but the final pitch has a lot to do with that. It sounds strange but my first reaction when we got to the base was, "I thought it would be bigger."

The first pitch was simply a means to an ends, it got me to the GT Ledge, the real exposure. When we first got to the ledge I didn't know what to do, organize myself for the next pitch, rest, take pictures. For the first time I was at a loss. I was just taken in by it all, the view, the people around me and what I was about to conquer. Now, that first reach around to the face where there is nothing but air to your left, right, above and below you was exhilarating, frightening and accomplishment all wrapped into one moment. The holds are all there, it just messes with your head a bit. I was so jacket up preceding the last pitch that I forgot to give Meghan and indication of what she was in for or how to approach this climb, not that I really knew myself, I didn't know what was in store for me beyond the roof, but I should have at least given her a little pep talk. When I reached the top I was hooting and hollering and dropping F bombs like a drunk trucker. Yes, I was excited. Meghan had a different expression on her face when I saw her at the top. Her face said it as well as her voice, "I'm so glad to see you." So, after she whipped the tears from her face she started to smile again. All was good as we rappelled down, Meghan likes the repelling part possibly more than the climbing.

We headed down the carriage trail back towards the parking lot and stopped at Ken's Crack for one last climb of the day. I was dreading the though of putting my shoes back on but I made it quick and as painless as possible. Meghan was just too tired to complete the route but it still ended off as a great day at the Gunks.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Congratulations, babe! I can see how excited you were - of course I knew that from when you were talking about it when you got home! =) Hopefully I can get out there with you sometime and get some good pics for ya!